A Little History of the Fanny Pack
Bags worn around the waist have been in use since ancient times. In fact, it is even possible that they preceded the invention of pockets in clothing. Traditionally worn in the front, the modern version, the fanny pack, gained the name for it's backwards orientation.
While it's pinnacle of pop-culture fame was in the 1980's, the fanny pack seems to have made it's modern debut around the mid-1950's in a Sport's Illustrated mail-order shopping guide, declaring:
"...The lightweight leather "fanny pack" is designed to hold a cross-country skier's wax and lunch. It's also useful for cyclists, hikers, equestrians."
No Longer For Nerds And Trendsetters
Since the 1980's the fanny pack has had several ironic revivals, and some would say has fully cast off it's reputation as a 'fashion joke'. But has it reclaimed the throne as the perfect companion for every day adventure? We say: yes! No longer for just Disneyland moms, blingy hip-hop stars, high-end fashionistas, and hipster festival goers. Nerds and trendsetters step aside, the fanny pack now belongs to us all!
Introducing the BROG Bum Bag
Now that you know a little of the worldwide backstory - we came up with our own version of the fanny pack for our EDC items, and of course, for the die hard gear junkies, we created some additional organizers to fit inside.
Our new Bum Bag isn't the first to the party, but it may just be the ideal expression of this timeless all-purpose satchel. Whether you want to wear it as a small cross body bag, or around your waist (front and back: ours slides!), our Bum Bag is perfect for carrying essential gear when your pockets just won't do.
Technically speaking, this small but mighty bag packs the following features:
- Made in Virginia, USA.
- Comes with our rugged warranty for life.
- Laser cut front panel with MOLLE attachement points.
- 1000 Denier Cordura body.
- Double YKK zippers.
- Mil-spec 1" webbing.
- Outer Mil-spec loop panel for small Velcro backed patches, nametape, etc.
- Inner Velcro for mounting optional organizers: Elastic Keeper and First-Aid Wallet (sold separately)
- Easily adjust belt tension with a genuine ITW buckle 3-bar slider keeps the belt tail from hanging Internal high-vis orange for better visibility.
- Color: Ranger Green (grey green) with Coyote tan accents and high-vis orange pack-cloth underlayment. Keeper and First-Aid Wallet (sold separately).
Is the fanny pack dead or alive? History proofs it will never die and now with the new Blue Ridge Overland Gear Bum Bag you have a new way to subtly carry those serious EDC items you need everyday. Long live the bum bag!